Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Change is Good

My 25th high school reunion is this summer, and my DH and I have been reminiscing about this and that. "You haven't changed a bit!" is usually what everyone hopes to hear.
I don't.

I saw an old friend at Christmas time.
She went on and on about how much I had changed. And I had.
Dramatically.
I don't look much different than I did then.
My personality hadn't changed,either, but my inner workings had had an overhaul of healing and freedom I didn't know existed back in high school.
I'm me - only better at being me.
I silently thanked God that the change in me was visible.

But as she rambled from one subject to the next, I realized I couldn't say the same about her.
Outwardly she had changed quite a bit, but inwardly she seemed to be carrying the same baggage and holding on to the same stuff she was focused on when we were kids.
She was stuck in high school, and it saddened me.

Today I received an email from another high school friend.
If I hadn't known who sent the email, I am absolutely certain I could have guessed.
I barely survived high school. This guy always had a way of making me feel better about myself - he was a bright spot in what was a horrible time for me. And I'm grateful I have the chance to thank him now.
He's still the same guy, but I can tell he's not entirely the guy I remember.
He grew up.


I pray that no one ever has cause to tell me I haven't changed a bit.
I want to continue to grow and continue to heal into everything God has for me.
I don't ever want to settle for good enough.
Jesus didn't come for me to have "good enough".
I want every mark on his body to count.
I want everything he died for me to have.

No comments:

The publisher/owner of this website, Joy Ely, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.